The following materials relate to contemporary forms of racial prejudice and discrimination. To learn more about an item or to purchase a book, please click on its title. Through a special partnership agreement, up to 15% of all book purchases made through Amazon.com (by clicking a link below and ordering the book online) will go toward supporting this web site.
General Books on Racism
- Alvarez, A. N., Liang, C. T. H., & Neville, H. A. (Eds.). (2016). The Cost of Racism for People of Color: Contextualizing Experiences of Discrimination. Washington, DC: American Psychological Association.
- Ansell, A. (2012). Race and Ethnicity: The Key Concepts. New York: Routledge.
- Bliss, C. (2012). Race Decoded: The Genomic Fight for Social Justice. Palo Alto, CA: Stanford University Press.
- Davis, F. J. (2001). Who Is Black? One Nation's Definition. University Park, PA: Pennsylvania State University Press.
- Eberhardt, J. L., & Fiske, S. T. (Eds.). (1998). Confronting Racism: The Problem and the Response. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications.
- Feagin, J. R., & McKinney, K. D. (2002). The Many Costs of Racism. Lanham, MD: Rowman & Littlefield.
- Jones, J. M. (1997). Prejudice and Racism (2nd ed.). New York: McGraw-Hill.
- Markus, H. R., & Moya, P. M. L. (Eds.). (2011). Doing Race: 21 Essays for the 21st Century. New York: W. W. Norton & Company.
- Sears, D. O., Sidanius, J., & Bobo, L. (Eds.). (2000). Racialized Politics: The Debate About Racism in America. Chicago, IL: University of Chicago Press.
Racial Attitudes and Stereotypes
- Entman, R. M., & Rojecki, A. (2000). The Black Image in the White Mind: Media and Race in America. Chicago, IL: University of Chicago Press.
- Hunt, M. O., & Wilson, G. (Eds.). (2011). Race, Racial Attitudes and Stratification Beliefs. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications.
- Lee, T. (2002). Mobilizing Public Opinion: Black Insurgency and Racial Attitudes in the Civil Rights Era. Chicago, IL: University of Chicago Press.
- Schuman, H., Steeh, C., Bobo, L., & Krysan, M. (1998). Racial Attitudes in America: Trends and Interpretations (rev. ed.). Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press.
- Stangor, C., & Crandall, C. (Eds.). (2012). Stereotyping and Prejudice. New York: Psychology Press.
- Steele, C. (2010). Whistling Vivaldi: How Stereotypes Affect Us and What We Can Do. New York: W.W. Norton & Company.
- Trepagnier, B. (2010). Silent Racism: How Well-Meaning White People Perpetuate the Racial Divide (2nd ed.). Boulder, CO: Paradigm Publishers.
Race and Criminal Justice
- Alexander, M. (2012). The New Jim Crow: Mass Incarceration in the Age of Colorblindness (reprint ed.). New York: New Press.
- Bell, D. A. (2008). Race, Racism and American Law. (6th ed.). Gaithersburg, MD: Aspen Publishers.
- Harris, D. A. (2002). Profiles in Injustice: Why Police Profiling Cannot Work. New York: New Press.
- Kalunta-Crumpton, A. (2012). Race, Ethnicity, Crime and Criminal Justice in the Americas. New York: Palgrave Macmillan.
- Kennedy, R. (1998). Race, Crime, and the Law. New York: Vintage Books
- Mauer, M. (2006). Race to Incarcerate (rev. ed.). New York: The New Press.
- Pettit, R. (2012). Invisible Men: Mass Incarceration and the Myth of Black Progress. New York: Russell Sage Foundation.
- Rowe, M. (2012). Race & Crime. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications.
- Tonry, M. (2012). Punishing Race: A Continuing American Dilemma. New York: Oxford University Press.
- Arnold, K. R. (Ed.). (2011). Anti-Immigration in the United States: An Historical Encyclopedia. Westport, CT: Greenwood Press.
- Chebel d'Appollonia, A. (2012). Frontiers of Fear: Immigration and Insecurity in the United States and Europe. Ithaca, NY: Cornell University Press.
- Hochschild, J. L., Weaver, V. M., & Burch, T. R. (2012). Creating a New Racial Order: How Immigration, Multiracialism, Genomics, and the Young Can Remake Race in America. Princeton, NJ: Princeton University Press.
- Kretsedemas, P. (2012). The Immigration Crucible: Transforming Race, Nation, and the Limits of the Law. New York: Columbia University Press.
- Nevins, J. (2010). Operation Gatekeeper and Beyond: The War on "Illegals" and the Remaking of the U.S.-Mexico Boundary (2nd ed.). New York: Routledge.
- Roth, W. (2012). Race Migrations: Latinos and the Cultural Transformation of Race. Palo Alto, CA: Stanford University Press.
- Rumbaut, R. G., & Portes, A. (Eds.). (2001). Ethnicities: Children of Immigrants in America. New York: Russell Sage Foundation.
- Waldinger, R. (Ed.). (2001). Strangers at the Gates: New Immigrants in Urban America. Berkeley, CA: University of California Press.
- Beider, H. (2012). Race, Housing and Community: Perspectives on Policy and Practice. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications.
- Fluckiger, Y., & Silber, J. G. (1999). The Measurement of Segregation in the Labor Force. New York: Physica-Verlag.
- Hacker, A. (1992). Two Nations: Black and White, Separate, Hostile, Unequal. New York: Maxwell Macmillan International.
- Massey, D. S., & Denton, N. (1994). American Apartheid: Segregation and the Making of the Underclass. Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press.
- Nightingale, C. H. (2012). Segregation: A Global History of Divided Cities. Chicago, IL: University of Chicago Press.
- Orfield, G., Eaton, S. E., & Jones, E. R. (1997). Dismantling Desegregation: The Quiet Reversal of Brown V. Board of Education. New York: The New Press.
- Smith, D. B. (1999). Health Care Divided: Race and Healing a Nation. Ann Arbor, MI: University of Michigan Press.
- Bowen, W. G., & Bok, D. (1998). The Shape of the River: Long-Term Consequences of Considering Race in College and University Admissions. Princeton, NJ: Princeton University Press.
- Crosby, F., & VanDeVeer, C. (Eds.). (2000). Sex, Race, and Merit: Debating Affirmative Action in Education and Employment. Ann Arbor, MI: University of Michigan Press.
- Katznelson, I. (2005). When Affirmative Action Was White: An Untold History of Racial Inequality in Twentieth-Century America. New York: W. W. Norton.
- Kellough, J. E. (2006). Understanding Affirmative Action: Politics, Discrimination, and the Search for Justice. Washington, DC: Georgetown University Press.
- Leiter, W. M., & Leiter, S. (2011). Affirmative Action in Antidiscrimination Law and Policy: An Overview and Synthesis (2nd ed.). Albany, NY: State University of New York Press.
- Orfield, G. (Ed.). (2001). Diversity Challenged: Evidence on the Impact of Affirmative Action. Cambridge, MA: Harvard Education Publishing Group.
- Pierce, J. (2012). Racing for Innocence: Whiteness, Gender, and the Backlash Against Affirmative Action. Palo Alto, CA: Stanford University Press.
- Wise, T. J. (2005). Affirmative Action: Racial Preference in Black and White. New York: Routledge.
- Zamani-Gallaher, E. M., Green, D. O., Brown, M. C., II, & Stovall, D. O. (2009). The Case for Affirmative Action on Campus: Concepts of Equity, Considerations for Practice. Sterling, VA: Stylus Publishing.
Anti-Racism and Multiculturalism
- Bowser, B. P. (1995). Racism and Anti-Racism in World Perspective. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications.
- Derman-Sparks, L., & Phillips, C. B. (1997). Teaching/Learning Anti-Racism: A Developmental Approach. New York: Teachers College Press.
- Kivel, P. (2011). Uprooting Racism: How White People Can Work for Racial Justice (3rd ed.). Philadelphia, PA: New Society Publishers.
- Martînez, E. (1998). De Colores Means All of Us: Latina Views for a Multi-Colored Century. Cambridge, MA: South End Press.
- Pritchard, S. (2012). An Introduction to Multiculturalism. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications.
- Reddy, M. T. (Ed.). (1996). Everyday Acts Against Racism: Raising Children in a Multiracial World. Seattle, WA: Seal Press.
- Warren, M. (2010). Fire in the Heart: How White Activists Embrace Racial Justice. New York: Oxford University Press.
Race, Poverty, and Welfare
- Gilens, M. (1999). Why Americans Hate Welfare: Race, Media, and the Politics of Antipoverty Policy. Chicago, IL: University of Chicago Press.
- hooks, b. (2000). Where We Stand: Class Matters. New York: Routledge.
- Jensen, E. (2009). Teaching with Poverty in Mind: What Being Poor Does to Kids' Brains and What Schools Can Do about It. Alexandria, VA: ACSD.
- Lareau, A. (2011). Unequal Childhoods: Class, Race, and Family Life (2nd ed.). Berkeley, CA: University of California Press.
- Neubeck, K. J., & Cazenave, N. A. (2001). Welfare Racism: Playing the Race Card Against America's Poor. New York: Routledge.
- Oliver, M. L., & Shapiro, T. M. (2006). Black Wealth, White Wealth: A New Perspective on Racial Inequality (2nd ed.). New York: Routledge.
- Roberts, D. E. (2002). Shattered Bonds: The Color of Child Welfare. New York: Basic Books.
U.S. Slavery Reparations
- Barkan, E. (2000). The Guilt of Nations: Restitution and Negotiating Historical Injustices. New York: Norton.
- Brennan, F., & Packer, J. (Eds.). (2012). Colonialism, Slavery, Reparations and Trade: Remedying the Past? . New York: Routledge.
- Brooks, R. L. (Ed.) (1999). When Sorry Isn't Enough: The Controversy Over Apologies and Reparations for Human Injustice. New York: New York University Press.
- Feagin, J. R. (2010). Racist America: Roots, Current Realities and Future Reparations (2nd ed.). New York: Routledge.
- Munford, C. J. (1996). Race and Reparations: A Black Perspective for the Twenty-First Century. Trenton, NJ: Africa World Press.
- Robinson, R. N. (2000). The Debt: What America Owes to Blacks. New York: Dutton.
- Bales, K. (2004). Disposable People: New Slavery in the Global Economy (2nd ed.). Berkeley, CA: University of California Press.
- Bales, K., & Soodalter, R. (2009). The Slave Next Door: Human Trafficking and Slavery in America Today. Berkeley, CA: University of California Press.
- Bales, K. (2005). Understanding Global Slavery: A Reader. Berkeley, CA: University of California Press.
- Batstone, D. (2010). Not for Sale: The Return of the Global Slave Trade--and How We Can Fight It (rev. ed.). New York: HarperOne.
- Hunter, Z. (2011). Be the Change: Your Guide to Freeing Slaves and Changing the World (updated and expanded ed.). Grand Rapids, MI: Zondervan.
- Kyle, D., & Koslowski, R. (Eds.). (2011). Global Human Smuggling: Comparative Perspectives (2nd ed.). Baltimore, MD: Johns Hopkins University Press.
Other Contemporary Issues
- Asim, J. (2007). The N Word: Who Can Say It, Who Shouldn't, and Why. Boston, MA: Houghton Mifflin.
- Daniels, J. (2009). Cyber Racism: White Supremacy Online and the New Attack on Civil Rights. Lanham, MD: Rowman & Littlefield Publishers.
- Hoberman, J. (2012). Black and Blue: The Origins and Consequences of Medical Racism. Berkeley, CA: University of California Press.
- Okun, T. (2010). The Emperor Has No Clothes: Teaching About Race and Racism to People Who Don't Want to Know. Charlotte, NC: Information Age Pub.
- Smedley, B. D., Stith, A. Y., &. Nelson, A.R. (Eds.). (2002). Unequal Treatment: Confronting Racial and Ethnic Disparities in Health Care. Washington, DC: National Academy Press.
- Tatum, B. D. (2003). "Why Are All the Black Kids Sitting Together in the Cafeteria?" and Other Conversations About Race. New York: Basic Books.
- Van Ausdale, D., & Feagin, J. R. (2001). The First R: How Children Learn Race and Racism. Lanham, MD: Rowman & Littlefield.
- Wise, T. J. (2008). White Like Me: Reflections on Race from a Privileged Son (2nd ed.). Brooklyn, NY: Soft Skull Press.
African and African-American Issues
Asian and Asian-American Issues
Ethnicity and Race
| Magazines, E-Zines, and Newsletters:|
Race-Specific Magazines, E-Zines, and Online News
Other Magazines, E-Zines, and Online News
Other Newsletters and News Services
Special Reports on Segregation
- Ihlanfeldt, K. R., & Scafidi, B. P. (2002, April 1). An Empirical Analysis of the Cause of Neighborhood Racial Segregation (Seminar and Conference Papers: Working Paper S00-003). Berkeley, CA: Berkeley Program on Housing and Urban Policy, University of California.
- Rusk, D. (2001, October). The "Segregation Tax": The Cost of Racial Segregation to Black Homeowners. Washington, DC: Brookings Institution.
- Yun, J., & Reardon, S. F. (2002, June). Private School Racial Enrollments and Segregation. Cambridge, MA: Civil Rights Project, Harvard University.
Special Reports on Racial Profiling
Other Special Reports
- AMA Council on Scientific Affairs. (2002, December). Report on Racial and Ethnic Disparities in Health Care. Chicago, IL: American Medical Association.
- APA Presidential Task Force on Immigration. (2012, February). Crossroads: The Psychology of Immigration in the New Century. Washington, DC: American Psychological Association.
- American Sociological Association. (2003). The Importance of Collecting Data and Doing Social Scientific Research on Race. Washington, DC: Author.
- Bullard, R. D., Mohai, P., Saha, R., & Wright, B. (2007, March). Toxic Wastes and Race at Twenty, 1987-2007.Cleveland, OH: United Church of Christ Justice & Witness Ministries.
- Council of Economic Advisors. (1998, September). Changing America: Indicators of Social and Economic Well-Being by Race and Hispanic Origin. Washington, DC: United States Government Printing Office.
- Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights. (2001, August). Gender Dimensions of Racial Discrimination. Geneva, Switzerland: United Nations.
- Pew Research Center. (2007, November 13). Blacks See Growing Values Gap Between Poor and Middle Class: Optimism About Black Progress Declines. Washington, DC: Author.
- Transactional Records Access Clearinghouse. (2004, November 21). Civil Rights Enforcement by Bush Administration Lags. Syracuse, NY: Syracuse University.
Bibliographies, Databases, and Compendiums
- American Anthropological Association. (1999). American Anthropological Association statement on "race." American Anthropologist, 100, 712-713.
- Bond, J. (2006, November 2). In Katrina's Wake: Racial Implications of the New Orleans Disaster. Symposium on Race and Society, University of Virginia, Charlottesville, VA.
- Cole, D. (1994, October 17). Five myths about immigration. The Nation, 410, 412.
- Muharrar, M. (1998, September/October). Media blackface: "Racial profiling" in news reporting. Extra! (magazine of Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting), pp. 6-8.
- Noel, P. (2000, March 21). Portraits in racial profiling: When clothes make the suspect. Village Voice, p. 46.
- Plous, S. (2003). Ten myths about affirmative action. In S. Plous (Ed.), Understanding Prejudice and Discrimination (pp. 206-212). New York: McGraw-Hill.
- Schulman, K. A., Berlin, J. A., Harless, W., Kerner, J. F., Sistrunk, S., Gersh, B.J., et al. (1999). The effect of race and sex on physicians' recommendations for cardiac catheterization. New England Journal of Medicine, 340, 618-626.
- Steele, C. M. (1992, April). Race and the schooling of black Americans. The Atlantic Monthly, pp. 68-78.
- Telles, E. E., & Murguia, E. (1990). Phenotypic discrimination and income differences among Mexican Americans. Social Science Quarterly, 71, 682-696.
- U.S. Department of State. (1999, June). Changing America: The United States population in transition. Electronic Journal of the U.S. Information Agency, 4(2).
- Yee, A. H., Fairchild, H. H., Weizmann, F., & Wyatt, A. E. (1993). Addressing psychology's problems with race. American Psychologist, 48, 1132-1140 [see also American Psychologist, 50, 40-46].